For those who plan to use the Outlook desktop mail client for email, contacts, and calendaring, we recommend the configuration below.
Note: these instructions are for Outlook desktop clients. GWSMO does not work with the Outlook web application (Office 365).
1. To access the full Connect (Google Workspace) suite from Outlook, you'll first need to install Outlook with Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GWSMO).
GWSMO can be found at: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync
2. If you did not launch GWSMO immediately following the installation, you can find it in your All Programs menu as Google Apps Sync --> Set up a Google Apps Sync user. For Email Address, type your Connect Address (ie, UCSBnetID@ucsb.edu). Click Continue.
Click Continue once more.
3. You will then be prompted to sign in with Google. Your account should already be in the email field, click Next.
4. Enter your password, click Next.
5. Scroll down and click Allow.
5. Switch from the browser to the Set Up Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook window.
6. If you are already using Outlook in Office 365, you can migrate your Contacts, Calendars, Notes, etc. from Office 365 to Google Apps/Outlook using this procedure.
Otherwise, click Create Profile as shown below. Be sure that "Import data from an existing profile" is unchecked.
7. Click Start Microsoft Outlook.
8. Select the profile you just created and click OK.
9. Let the account synchronize. It will take a very long time (approximately 1GB may take 4 hours).
IMPORTANT: When synchronization is complete, exit Outlook, wait 30 seconds, and open Outlook. Prior to this restart, Outlook will use your Connect address as your outgoing address. After the restart, Outlook will use your previously selected (full name or department address) outgoing address.
10. Automatically disables client-side junk email filtering.
You have completed the Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GWSMO) setup process.