You can configure Apple Mail for viewing your Connect G Suite account by following the steps in this configuration guide. These screenshots are for Mail v9 (El Capitan- OS X 10.11) and may differ somewhat if you use Mail v10 (macOS Sierra- v10.12). If you are using Apple Mail v6, v7 or v8, please follow that version-specific guide. To verify which version of Apple Mail you have, open Apple Mail and then select About Mail from the Mail menu.
To use Apple Mail, you must first check that IMAP is turned on. To do this:
- On your computer, log into the Google Web App.
- In the top right, click the gear icon ("Settings") and click Settings.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the "IMAP Access" section, select Enable IMAP (if needed).
- Click Save Changes (if needed).
- - - - - - - -
1. Open Apple Mail. If you have never opened Mail before, you will see the screen below. Select Google and click Continue.
2. If you have already configured another email account, select Mail (next to the Apple symbol in left hand corner), click on the Add Account. Select Google and click Continue. Refer to the screenshot for Step 1.
3. Press Open Browser. You will then get redirected to a web browser.
4. Enter the email address you want to use and press Next.
5. Enter your password and press Next.
6.If you have activted 2-factor authentication, it will prompt you to enter the verification code. Once you have done this, press Next.
7. Accept the terms and click Allow.
8. Select the apps you want to use with this account and click Done.
9. Use the following configuration settings: select Preferences on the Mail menu, select the Accounts tab, then the Mailbox Behaviors tab, and confirm that Store draft messages on the server, Store sent messages on the server, Store junk messages on the server, Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox, and Store deleted messages on the server are all checked. Confirm that Never is selected under Sent, Junk and Trash.
10. In the same window as step 5, click the Account Information tab (in Mail v10, the Server Settings tab), in the Outgoing Mail Account menu select Edit SMTP Server List... In the top window, select your former SMTP server if it's there, and click the "-" (minus sign) below that window. Click OK. In the Outgoing Mail Account menu select your G Suite account.
11. Disable client-side junk email filtering: select the Junk Mail tab, and un-check Enable junk mail filtering. Close the Preferences window.
12. You can now begin using Mail with your Connect G Suite account.
13. To use the UCSB Directory to auto-complete email addresses, please refer to the instructions at http://www.identity.ucsb.edu/customers/email_clients/apple_mail/