For the best user experience, we recommend using Google Workspace email via the web interface at Google Web App or the Gmail app on your smartphone.
You can configure Apple Mail for viewing your Connect Google Workspace account by following the steps in this configuration guide. We suggest keeping your Apple Mail updated to the latest version. To verify which version of Apple Mail you have, open Apple Mail and then select About Mail from the Mail menu.
To use Apple Mail, you must first check that IMAP is enabled on your Gmail account. To do this:
- On your computer, log into the Google Web App.
- In the top right, click the gear icon ("Settings"), then click See all settings.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the "IMAP Access" section, select Enable IMAP (if needed).
- Click Save Changes (if needed).
- - - - - - - -
1. Open Apple Mail. If you have never previously opened Apple Mail, you will see the screen below to Choose a Mail account provider. This is how Apple Mail uses the OAuth2 authentication method. Select Google and click Continue.
2. If you have already configured an email account in Apple Mail and want to configure another one, select Mail along the top menu (next to the Apple symbol in left hand corner), click on Add Account. Select Google and click Continue, as seen in the previous step 1.
3. Enter the email address for the account you want to use and press Next.
4. Enter your password and press Next.
5. If you have activated 2-step authentication, it will prompt you to enter the verification code sent to you in a text message. Once you have entered the verification code, press Next.
6. Accept the account access terms and click Allow.
7. Select the apps you want to use with this account and click Done.
8. Go to Mail and Preferences again, then select the Accounts tab. In the Mailbox Behaviors tab: confirm that a) Drafts Mailbox is set to [Gmail]/Drafts b) Sent Mailbox is set to [Gmail]/Sent Mail c) Junk Mailbox is set to [Gmail]/Spam d) Trash Mailbox is set to [Gmail]/Trash and e) Archive Mailbox is set to [Gmail]/All Mail. Set Erase junk messages is set to Never. Set Erase deleted messages to the duration of your choosing.
9. While still in Preferences, click the Server Settings tab. In the Outgoing Mail Account menu, select Edit SMTP Server List... In the top window, select your former SMTP server if it's there, and click the "-" (minus sign) below that window. Click OK. In the Outgoing Mail Account menu select your Google Workspace account.
10. Disable client-side junk email filtering: select the Junk Mail tab, and uncheck Enable junk mail filtering. Close the Preferences window.
11. To confirm the server settings are correct: click on Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Server Settings > then the Summary tab. The Incoming Mail Server should be imap.gmail.com, the Outgoing Mail Server should be smtp.gmail.com, and SSL should be On for both.
12. You can now begin using Mail with your Connect Google Workspace account.