Connect offers 2 mailing list services, the older Sympa service and the newer Google Groups service. To get started, each department that uses the Sympa Connect Mailing List service needs either an alias or a functional account in the form of firstname.lastname@example.org - for instance if your department e-mail domain is somedepartment.ucsb.edu, the alias/account needs to be email@example.com.
To begin managing a Sympa mailing list:
1. Browse to https://lists.connect.ucsb.edu
2. Click the appropriate department link of your list service
3. If this is your first time visiting the site, click the Create My Account link in the upper left hand corner
4. Type in your listmaster address, such as firstname.lastname@example.org (you would enter your email address if you will create your own lists)
5. A link will be e-mailed to this address - click it - which will then take you back to the mailing list interface and allow you to set a password
6. Click Public Lists to see your lists or Create List to create a new one