Gmail App (RECOMMENDED)
- Open the App Store app, search for "Gmail" and install the "Gmail - email from Google" app.
- Open the Gmail app and log in with your Connect Address (UCSBnetID@ucsb.edu) for the Username, and UCSBnetID password, and click Sign In.
- You will then be taken to your Inbox or Important mail folder. You can click on the hamburger icon to change folders or switch accounts.
- Open the Settings app, select Mail, select Accounts, and then select Add Account.
On the Add Account screen, choose Exchange (yes, Exchange, not Google) as the account type.
- Enter your email address (typically firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com), your UCSBnetID password, and a Description such as Connect/Google.
NOTE: If you have activated 2-factor authentication ("2FA") for your Connect account, you must use the "app password" you created for Mail on your iPhone/iPad. For more information on 2FA and app passwords, go here.
- Enter m.google.com for Server, your Connect Address (UCSBnetID@ucsb.edu) for the Username, and UCSBnetID password, then click Next.
- Choose the features you want to enable. Click Save. Note for Calendar-Only customers, you only need the Calendars option selected.
- You will get asked the following when you turn on Contacts and Calendars on iPhone (not iPad). Tap Keep on My iPhone.
- NOTE: If desired, go back to Settings to increase the number of days your client will sync. You may want to sync using wi-fi after increasing the range to minimize your data charges.
- IMPORTANT: In order for your iPhone/iPad Mail client to behave similarly to your desktop and web client, use a web browser on your iPhone/iPad and go to http://m.google.com/sync/settings
- Note: Make sure you are not already logged into your personal Gmail account.
Log in with your Connect Address (UCSBnetID@ucsb.edu) for the Username, and UCSBnetID password, and click Sign In
- You can provide your cell phone number for security purposes or Skip this option
- Tap on iPhone (or iPad)
- Check Enable "Send Mail As" for this device and Enable "Delete Email as Trash" for this device, then tap Save at top right.
- You should see the following.
- Open the Mail app, and choose the one you just created, typically named Connect/Google.
- That's it, you're done.