Connect Mailing Lists
The Connect Mailing Lists service provides a department-specific mailing list service that allows Connect CDAs to create and manage their own mailing lists without any intervention on the part of ETS. You can find a directory of each of the mailing list services we provide at https://lists.connect.ucsb.edu/.
How Mailing Lists Work
In general, a mailing list provides the ability to send a message to a single email address and have it distributed to multiple recipients. Mailing list services typically provide many other related functions such as posting management, subscriber management, searchable online archives, etc.
Mailing List Roles
Connect Mailing Lists define several different roles that individuals may fill:
- List Manager: the account that has authority to manage all mailing lists within your department; typically a functional account. The List Manager is responsible for managing any requests for new mailing lists made within your department's mailing list service.
- List Owner(s): individuals who have the authority to edit the configuration and membership of a mailing list. The List Owner is typically assigned upon creation of a list, but owners can be added/changed/removed by the List Owner or the List Manager.
- List Moderator(s): for moderated lists, List Moderators are individuals who have the authority to approve or deny an incoming message before it is distributed to the list. List Moderators can be added/changed/removed by the List Owner or List Manager.
- List Subscribers: individuals who will receive the messages posted to a mailing list to which they're subscribed. List membership can be managed only by the List Owners or List Manager.
Types of Mailing Lists
The Connect Mailing Lists service provides a wide number of options for configuring your mailing lists, but there are a handful of basic types:
- Distribution Lists allow for a one-way distribution message out to a number of list subscribers; in this model only a small number of addresses are allowed to send messages to the list
- Discussion Lists allow for discussion amongst all of the list subscribers; in this model any one of the list subscribers may send messages to the list
- Open Lists allow any individual to send messages to the list, whether they're a subscriber or not
- Moderated Lists may be either a discussion list or an open list, but in any case require that a List Moderator vet each incoming message prior to distribution to the list subscribers